Saturday, April 9, 2011

Introduction

In High School, politics was something I detested. Ironic given that I, also, couldn’t wait to vote. What I did love was history and computers. Another thing I detested? Grammar! So, please forgive the many mistakes I’m sure to make in the coming posts. I may have turned into a Grammar Nazi over the past few years, but I’m far from flawless.

When I stepped into the polling booth for the 1st time, it was the last time Americans got to use the punch card voting system. I essentially saw the end of an era. The drama that followed in Florida made sure of that. The last few times I’ve voted were all by computer - something I’m comfortable around.
Punch card voting is not what I remember most about my first voting experience. Less than 24 hours after voting, I realized I’d made a huge mistake and voted for a presidential candidate whose ideals, values, and platform did not align with my own. Sure the regret did set in a bit, but luckily, the person I voted for did not win.

I walked away from that voting experience promising myself that I would research each candidate, becoming an informed voter, and hopefully never regret my voting decision quite so severely the next time. I’d like to say that I jumped head first into it all and became very knowledgeable in it all. I’d be lying. Let me remind you of the first sentence of this blog. I believe the word detested was used.
Back then, I thought the only thing worth voting for was the president and only showed up once every four years. By the next time I’d voted, I’d aligned myself with a party that I only knew high-level bullet points about. I voted straight ticket. If you feel that strongly about the party you associate with, there is nothing wrong with straight-ticket voting. If you don’t have a full understanding of all the issues, it’s not the best decision you can make.

I still associate myself with the same party, but each year, I’m learning more and more. About five years ago, I discovered cable news and eventually started to learn about things I was sure I’d never heard before – primaries, etc. I voted in the very next primary and was saddened by the party “winner” and stuck my head in the sand. Sure I voted when November came around, but it wasn’t as exciting.
For the first several years of the latest presidency, I completely stopped watching the news. Then some friends went to the Middle East, and I started watching again, making sure they stayed safe. Surprisinly, the news peaked my interest again.

It’s getting close to another primary season, and currently the Government is only budgeted for a week or two at a time, while Washington argues our country’s budget. But, what does all this mean? This year, I want to dig deeper and learn more than I ever have before. Not only about the election year issues, but what’s going on right now. What *is* our President and the mixed-party Congress doing? I’m determined to find out. Best of all? I’m bringing y’all along for the ride.

My goal:

Find the facts of the issues, remove all the fat – unnecessary information, and post what I’ve learned here.

Opinions will be left to the comments. I’ll strive to provide the details without opinion. Many people say that isn’t possible. I guess we will find out through this exploration. If I do have an opinion on whatever subject I’m researching that day/week/month, I’ll post those as a comment to the post and keep it as short and sweet as possible.

Guess this means I should start following the White House’s twitter and blog, huh? Got to go to the source. I will also post my references in case anyone wants to read more information on the subject.

And, so the journey begins. First topic – Budget crisis, oil prices, Middle East uprising, straight-ticket voting, or rumored presidential candidates? Stay tuned to find out...

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this! I need someone to help me wade through all the BS.

    ReplyDelete